Full Job Description
The Senior Manager Tasting Room Operations is responsible for providing the highest level of guest experience and upholding the brand standards for the Vintage Wine Estates destination wineries while creating a warm, welcoming and engaging experience for everyone who visits our wineries. This position also presents our stunning assets and Wine Country lifestyle in a well-curated mix of delightful and surprising wines, authentic products, rich experiences, and memorable events.
This engaging leader maintains a motivated, dedicated and energetic team of wine hosts to achieve hospitality goals and revenue targets. Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Senior Manager Tasting Rooms Operations has P&L responsibilities and serves as the liaison between the leadership team, winery team and external partners. Additionally, the position as the brand ambassador at industry and community events and maintains relationships with strategic partners.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Strategic Business Leadership
- Develop and foster a vision and strategy for the business that aligns with the values of our destination wineries
- Develop and execute tactical plans aligned with strategy to deliver consistent and impressive financial growth and strategic results.
- Maintain knowledge of competitors and best-in-class hospitality practices in the wine business and other industries.
- Monitor and review team KPIs daily/weekly/monthly. Effectively communicate results to staff and superiors.
- Comply with corporate and brand standards & regulatory matters
- Establish and maintain partnerships that support growth efforts and goals
- Represent VWE when necessary at conferences, trade shows or networking events
- Build peer support and strong internal-company relationships with other key management personnel
- In coordination with DTC and other departments, work to improve processes and procedures
- Manage complexities of logistics and operations and resolve any issues
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of all property systems and operations
- Oversee properties & day to day care
- Ensure properties comply with OSHA, emergency and security standards
- Monitor and address the effectiveness & productivity of all contracted services
- Perform regular weekly inspection of property to ensure Visual Standards are maintained
- Supports construction or necessary property enhancements
Budget & Forecasting
- Review daily/monthly financials to ensure that the property is operating in-line with budget, including staffing levels
- Manage invoice processing, reporting and banking
- Responsible for all cash management
- Responsible for annual team Sales Plan and providing quarterly and monthly updates, revisions and modifications to the plan
People Leadership and Management
- Recruit and monitor resort department managers
- Lead, inspire, manage, motivate, coach and mentor staff – including both direct reports and broader team – to optimize team morale and performance. Activities include staff planning, recruiting, interviewing, hiring, firing, training, goal setting, assigning and directing work, conducting performance reviews, and addressing/resolving problems.
- Drive team’s training and professional development efforts to ensure growth and excellence in skills and knowledge.
- Build and ensure highest levels of teamwork and inter-departmental cohesion
- Partner with Human Resources in developing policies and [procedures and addressing all employee relations issues
- Promote staff or replace non-performing team members accordingly
Guest Experience & Events
- Work with Estate Manager and Marketing to establish new guest experiences
- Correspond with guests, club members and potential guests
- Support Event Partners and provide coordination support as necessary
- Adhere to guest and brand standards
- Self-motivated with an ability to set and achieve targets, as well as manage staff
- Solid planning and organizational skills
- Proficient in MSWord, Excel, PowerPoint, computer skills, etc.
- Demonstrate a presentable, courteous and pleasant demeanor
- Must be hardworking, sincere, honest, dedicated, and approachable
- Possess excellent communication, sales and negotiation skills
- Excellent management skills with ability to motivate and lead teams
- Demonstrated ability to work calmly under pressure
- Ability to share company vision on both small and large scale
- Work with a high level of initiative, drive and enthusiasm
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to constructively manage others
- Excellent project management skills and ability to multi-task
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- BA or BS in marketing or other business-related degree
- 5+ years hospitality experience
- Proven leadership skills and a demonstrated track record of success
- Knowledge of, or experience with, developing and managing established budgets
- Must share company values: integrity, respect, value creation, compliance, customer focus
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work in an evolving environment with enthusiasm
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position
- Regularly required to sit on an office chair one to two hours at a time up to seven hours per day.
- Frequently required to walk 10-40 feet several times a day totaling up to one to two hours;
reach with hands and arms, grasp objects, push/pull file drawers of 10-50 pounds,
twist the upper body, stand for two-three hours at pouring stations.
- Occasionally required to kneel to file and climb stairs.
- Ability to move cases of wine (40 lbs average), event tables, chairs and related equipment
- May be required to work in varying weather conditions
Job Type: Full-time